Synology Volumen Größenbeschränkung 108TB umgehen

Falkenhorst

Benutzer
Punkte für Reaktionen
Hallo zusammen.
ich habe eine RS2821RP+ mit leider einer offiziellen Beschränkung zur Erstellung eines Volumens bis max 108TB. Da bin ich jetzt auch schon angekommen und möchte mir nicht unbedingt ein neues parallel Volumen erstellen und Ordner, Dateien sowie Verlinkungen verschieben.
Kenn jemand einen Weg um diese Beschränkung recht einfach zu umgehen so dass ich ein erweitertes Volumen bis 200TB nutzen kann?
Also 32gb Arbeitsspeicher und die aktuelle DSM-Version sind drauf.
Einen ersten Ansatz habe ich hier gefunden (also es geht wohl - nur für mein Verständnis her noch etwas zu komplex):
https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/13omt33/debunking_the_synology_108tb_and_200tb_volume/

Danke für Eure Unterstützung.

DaveR

Benutzer
Sehr erfahren
Punkte für Reaktionen
Is storage manager not letting expand the volume beyond 108TB?

I've seen one comment on NASCompares where the person wrote:
I’ve been bitten once when deploying an additional RS2818RP+ for a customer back in 2020 where the first unit supported 200TB volume (if the memory was upgraded, which we did) but the second unit didn’t because Synology silently removed support for volumes exceeding 108TB in their DSM updates without any notifications.

They didn’t indicate this change in any release notes or changelogs and we only found out when we had tried to deploy the 2nd unit 6 months later.

Their support email response literally just amounted to “Welp… We removed the support for larger volumes because there may be some performance issues; good luck” – thankfully, we could still manually create and format the volume via SSH.

I just noticed that my Synology NAS are running Storage Manager 1.0.0-00502 but I never updated it and I have auto-update disabled in Package Center. I just checked the storage manager package's release notes and the only release notes are for 1.0.0-0017 and none for 1.0.0-00502 !?!?

Storage Manager 1.0.0-00502 was uploaded to Synology's download site on 13 Mar 2024

I'll unpack and compare 1.0.0-0017 and 1.0.0-00502 to see what's changed.

EDIT - There are 3 files that are different:
  1. /var/packages/StorageManager/target/lib/libsmpkgmgmt.so
  2. /var/packages/StorageManager/target/ui/storage_panel.js
  3. /var/packages/StorageManager/target/webapi/libStorage.so
It's going to take me while to compare those files. storage_panel.js is 40,000 lines and the other 2 are binary files.

EDIT 2 - The only changes in storage_panel.js relate to deduplication and volume_encryption

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

ctrlaltdelete

Benutzer
Contributor
Sehr erfahren
Maintainer
Punkte für Reaktionen
Welche DSM Version genau?
Edit: Ist der Speicherpool ext4 oder BTRFS?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Reaktionen: DaveR

Falkenhorst

Benutzer
Punkte für Reaktionen
Guten Morgen.
@ctrlaltdelete
Wie gesagt - aktuelle DSM-Version. Ist gerade die DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 5.
Der Syno-Server wird gerade neu aufgesetzt und zum experimentieren habe ich ein SHR2 eingerichtet.
Bei der Speicherpoolerstellung wurde selbstständig BTRFS ausgewählt. Wenn es notwendig sein sollte, kann ich geschwind auch noch zu ext4 wechseln.

DaveR

Benutzer
Sehr erfahren
Punkte für Reaktionen
The current DSM version is 7.2.2-72806 though it's a staged rollout so your RS2821RP+ could still be saying it is up to date.

DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 5 should let you create a btrfs volume up to 200TB on a RS2821RP+ with 32GB or more memory.

Reaktionen: ctrlaltdelete

Falkenhorst

Benutzer
Punkte für Reaktionen
@DaveR
I would like to prepare myself in advance and question the Synology restriction
in the data sheet (max. volume RS2821RP+ -> 108TB). If it absolutely doesn't work,
I would have to buy an expansion unit and create a second separate 108TB volume.
I wanted to try to avoid that by bypassing the 108TB restriction.
I don't yet have another hard drive to get over 108TB and try it straight away.
My Synology is physically completely occupied with various hard drive sizes and only has a total of 85TB.
As I said, I was initially put off by the restriction in the data sheet and wanted to find out whether it was actually possible to exceed this 108TB restriction.

Falkenhorst

Benutzer
Punkte für Reaktionen
@DaveR
Thank you very much for the hopeful message. Then I'll get the storage I'm missing (SATA HDD) and try it out. Maybe there will be someone here in the short term who has currently managed it with a NAS that was also not officially approved for this by Synology (as it was limited to a maximum of 108TB).
I would be happy to receive live feedback and encourage me in my plans. Everything is associated with costs that should not be spent in vain.

Edit:
DSM version history.
I just went through various version histories. So Synology provides information here
very precise which devices will subsequently be released for the volume increase up to 200TB.
The last time was on June 20, 2023, DSM 7.2-64570, for the RS2423+ / RS2423RP+ device.
Unfortunately, mine (RS2821RP+) is not officially mentioned anywhere to this day.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Falkenhorst

Benutzer
Punkte für Reaktionen
Info from Syno:
Version: 7.2.2-72803
(2024-08-26)

This update will be recalled on 09/11/2024 to provide clearer details about the DSM and package updates to avoid confusion. This issue is in version 7.2.2-72806. fixed.

ctrlaltdelete

Benutzer
Contributor
Sehr erfahren
Maintainer
Punkte für Reaktionen
Bleibe erstmal auf 7.2.1
Und ich denke du solltest 200 TB nutzen können ohne Anpassungen.

Reaktionen: Falkenhorst und DaveR

DaveR

Benutzer
Sehr erfahren
Punkte für Reaktionen
Lots of people on reddit with a DS1821+ or RS1221+ with 32GB or 64GB of memory have created volumes larger than 108TB in DSM 7.2 and 7.2.1

The RS2821RP+ has the same Ryzen V1500B CPU so it should work.

Kaffeautomat

Wenn du das Forum hilfreich findest oder uns unterstützen möchtest, dann gib uns doch einfach einen Kaffee aus.

Als Dankeschön schalten wir deinen Account werbefrei.

:coffee:

Hier gehts zum Kaffeeautomat 

AdBlocker gefunden!

Du bist nicht hier, um Support für Adblocker zu erhalten. Dein Adblocker funktioniert bereits ;-)

Klar machen Adblocker einen guten Job, aber sie blockieren auch nützliche Funktionen.

Das Forum wird mit hohem technischen, zeitlichen und finanziellen Aufwand kostenfrei zur Verfügung gestellt. Wir zeigen keine offensive Werbung und bemühen uns um eine dezente Integration.

Bitte unterstütze dieses Forum, in dem du deinen Adblocker für diese Seite deaktivierst.

Du kannst uns auch über unseren Kaffeautomat einen Kaffe ausgeben oder ein PUR Abo abschließen und das Forum so werbefrei nutzen.

Vielen Dank für Deine Unterstützung!